What is a First Aid Box?
It is a box or container containing items that are used to help a sick or injured person until full medical treatment is available.
It is sometimes called a first aid kit. The contents of a first aid box is what matters; not the container. The container could be plastic, wood, metal or it could be a box or a bag. Whatever the container is, it is just a medium to house the contents.
Contents of a First Aid Box
The contents of a first aid box depends on where it will be used, the type of injury that is expected in the scenario and the number of people that could be affected.
So location could include the home, daycare centre, preschools, schools, office, factories, construction sites.
The type of injury one could expect in the location and the people withing and includes:
- Home: Cuts, scrapes, minor bleeds etc
- Schools: Cuts, Scrapes, minor and severe bleeds, sprains, strains etc.
- Factories & Construction sites: Minor and major bleeds, amputations, head injury, heart attack etc.
- Police and Military: Major bleeds, life-threatening bleeds, blast injuries, crush injuries, head injuries etc.
The number of people within the location can vary from 1 person to thousands.
Data is Important in Determining the Content of a First Aid Box Matters
Once the decision to get a first aid box has been made, it has to be qualified on the following:
- Who will it serve?
- Where do we need it?
- What are the types of injuries we have seen or expect to see?
- How many people will it cover?
- How many will we need?
- Where will they be located?
- Will the first aid boxes be stationary or mobile?
Answering these questions with the best data available will make you purchase the first aid box that suits your needs and serve you IF it needed.
Remember, a first aid box is only as useful as the knowledge and experience of the user so make sure those who would need to use it know how to use it.
Content of a First Aid Box
These varies as explained above, not only in items but in quantity needed. There are so many items that can be inside the box but we list out the essential items .
The Essential Items
- Adhesive bandages (plaster)
- Sterile pads (non-adherent or gauze)
- Dressings (various sizes)
- Bandages (Gauze, Elastic, Triangular)
- Face shields (for CPR)
Wipes and Pads
- Antiseptic wipes
- Alcohol pads
While medication can be put in a first aid box, it is not a component of its supply or purchase. You should buy over the counter medication from reputable pharmacies.
You now know the content of a first aid box so can even the items and make yours. For your convenience and at a pocket friendly price, you purchase Levande First Boxes and Kits on Jumia or buy from our online shop.
Whatever your choice, have a well stocked first aid box ?.
First Aid by Levande is a service offered by Levande Healthcare Ltd. Kindly contact us for more information. You can access our online first aid trainings at the Levande Healthcare Academy . Enroll today