First Aid for Nosebleeds
Crucial skill: Use your thumb and index finger to pinch your nostrils shut.
1. Sit upright and lean forward. Do not bend the head backward as you may swallow blood which can irritate the stomach.
2. Pinch your nose. Use your thumb and index finger to pinch your nostrils shut. Breathe through your mouth.
3. Continue to pinch for five to 10 minutes.
4. To prevent re-bleeding, don’t pick or blow your nose and don’t bend down for several hours after the bleeding episode.
5. Seek emergency care if bleeding lasts for more than 20 minutes or follows an accident, a fall or an injury to your head, including a punch in the face that may have broken your nose.