Tips to Treat Colds and Flu the Natural Way
Colds are caused by viruses and do not respond to antibiotics. It is surprising how many people go to the pharmacy, drug store or doctor asking for an antibiotic for their cold.
Antibiotics will not help you get better any faster, neither will they prevent you from passing it onto other people.
According to WebMD, the following steps can help alleviate your symptoms and put you on the path to recovery much faster. They are:
1. Blow your nose often and the right way. It’s important to blow your nose regularly when you have a cold rather than sniffling mucus back into your head.
The best way to blow your nose: Press a finger over one nostril while you blow gently to clear the other. Wash your hands after blowing your nose.
2. Stay rested. Resting when you first come down with a cold or the flu helps your body direct its energy toward the immune battle.
3. Gargle. Gargling can moisten a sore throat and bring temporary relief. Try a teaspoon of salt dissolved in warm water, four times daily.
4. Drink hot liquids. They relieve nasal congestion and help prevent dehydration.
5. Take a steamy shower. They moisturize your nasal passages and relax you.
6. Apply hot or cold packs around your congested sinuses. Either temperature may help you feel more comfortable.
7. Sleep with an extra pillow under your head. This will help with the drainage of nasal passages.
8. Don’t fly unless necessary. Change in air pressure will add stress to your respiratory system.
Though the flu might seem innocuous, some strains can be fatal hence the need for vacinnations (flu shots) in some climes. If you don’t feel better, please see a doctor as soon as possible.
First Aid Trainings
Are you prepared for a medical emergency? Are there people in your home, your child’s school or in the workplace that can act with confidence to save lives? Do they know First Aid? First Aid by Levande offers various First Aid Trainings to provide you with life-saving skills to help a casualty. Contact us today to book a class or call 08177321761.